Sunday, October 23, 2011

OCTOBER 21st RESULTS

WE DID IT!  Our First 2 court win against very tough opponents, with all our supporters there to cheer us on.  (There was even reserved seating for our VIP guests!) Way to go girls!

Court three started off very strong on Wednesday, when the fabulous team of Anne Sophie and Nayla were chosen to play on Friday.   But something happened on the road to Friday that put a glitch in our plans.  Anne Sophie injured herself while practicing on enemy territory.  Her first game in level 2 would have to wait!  But our spare Di, was chomping at the bit to get a game under her belt and she capitalized on the opportunity.  She was on fire and her and Nayla smashed and sliced their way to a 3 set victory.

Court two had the dynamic duo of Ana and Allana back together again, to knock the socks off some very challenging opponents.  They were both excited and ready to go out and show their power and strength as a team.  They did just that, coming back from being down in the first set to never letting the opponents back in the door.  They won handily in 2 sets.

Now for court 1.  I'm tempted to not write anything about court 1 because I didn't do anything on court 1 that's worth writing about.  Poor Conception was playing by herself the whole match and so it was inevitable that we wouldn't win.  After a lousy week of tennis on my part, my forehand weapon decided to pack it in on Friday and take the day off.  From that moment on, I was in my head trying to convince it to wait until the weekend but it was already lying poolside with Heather, enjoying some adult beverages.  I must say that I have never been so in my own head during a match.  I've seen it happen to Sharapova, where the only person she's playing against is herself.  That was me on Friday.  I was completely by myself, talking to myself, trying to psyche myself up for each and every shot but to no avail.  Even this paragraph is all about me so as you can see, I'm still not over it!

What I learned is that I have to have a plan B.  If something's not working, try something else.  Such a simple statement yet very difficult to put into play when you're not thinking clearly and critically.  If I was out of my head and acting like a partner to Conception, I could have suggested to switch sides in the second set.  That may have relieved some of the pressure I was putting on myself to perform at the level of play that I'm used to playing at.

But after completely defeating myself on the court (half of me won, I guess!),  I decided to celebrate our 2 court victory with the girls.  There's nothing like swimming around in someone else's joy to take your mind off of drowning in your own misery.  So Conception and I had a great time dancing our loss away and celebrating a great win with our teammates.

On to the next!!

3 comments:

  1. Well Deb, what you apparently were lacking on court was made up for in the resto après-match! One of our finer lunches, with free wine, great tunes, and nicely shared with our opponents.
    It sure felt good to be playing a match again, and as much as I dislike the elimination of the third set, I really got jacked up for our super tiebreaker! This may work out after all!
    Looking forward to this upcoming week........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen sister!!!!! Would have loved to be part of the action.. but i sure was part of the drinks and tunes !!!! So next week i will once again be on the sidelines cheering on our TEAM BAILEY's wins!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for alcohol,music and good friends. That's a winning combination no matter what happens on the court. :)

    ReplyDelete